Monsterpocalypse has started to roll out.
My plan is get all the bad guys, Planet Eaters, Cthul and Martians. I picked some up at GenCon. A Planet Eater starter and two of each blister. I probably only needed 1 Belcher blister, but I painted them up anyway….
I wanted a bright color for them, uniform color scheme and not the box colors. So, I took a while to find something I liked.
Then I saw someone post this, BINGO!! I like bright orange contrasted with Black.
Next was figuring out what colors to use, Armor was easy, Black shaded withI used Paintrack to get a 5 color shading for the Planet Easter skin. Inferno Orange was the base color (it’s a new one). I decided to use Khador Red base and Sanguine Highlight to darken the skin. Ember Orange and Heartfire are the highlights. White… Duh….
About the same time I was introduced to Paint Rack (Android App) and I am using it a lot. I am notoriously cheap, thanks Dad. It is very rare for me to buy and App. This one I did. This one is a one guy show, he wants feedback and adding more features.
First, I can keep an inventory or the paints I have, either pick them from the manufacture list or scan the bar code. If I need something, I can easily add it to my wish list.
I used Paintrack to get a 5 color shading for the Planet Easter skin. Inferno Orange was the base color (it’s a new one). I decided to use Khador Red base and Sanguine Highlight to darken the skin. Ember Orange and Heartfire are the highlights.
When I pick a color to use the “Color Tools” to see the Complimentary, Analogous, Triad colors that go with what I am using. It uses the colors you have to find what you should use. I find myself opening Paintrack when I have an idea of a color scheme to look at what shading and highlights might work.
The “Set” menu allows you to build a list of what paints you use on a model. You can add Subsets that break that model into different parts. My Planet Eaters are easy Armor, Skin and Eyes.
Once you have your Subsets labeled, add the paints.
You can also click on the Subset (will post picture of that one later.
The units are all pretty clean as far as mold marks go. Some of them have gates in there feet (claws). You have to be careful with the clipper or the the claw will break. I used a hobby knife and files, never broke one.
The Monster, OMG, huge gates. There has to be places where the resin comes in to fill the mold. I’m not sure there was a better way to make it easier, but those locations give you a modelling challenge…
Here comes a lot of photos…
The tail has a gate on top. Be careful with the top edge. Knife and file work was all it needed. I really like the way the bottom has scales. Black on the armor and body orange and shading on the scales…
The claws, two gates on each claw, right on top near the spine of the armor. I used cutter to off the majority removed. The resin is really easy to work with. The thumb claws, two on each hand, will be black armor. The 3 little vents and the inside of the hands will be orange body shading to give the hands some contrast.
The head has Two gates on the top and one on the bottom. There is one way back (under my finger) and another in the middle. Both easy to knife/file. Black armor and all the indentations will be orange with glow highlights.
The on on the bottom is the easy one, just use cutter, it will be hidden when you glue the head onto the body.
Now for the rest of the body. I saved the biggest challenge for last. The each of the shoulders has a gate on top. WOW, that is a challenge to trim and shape it match the curve on the rest of the shoulder. You can also see mold misalignment on one shoulder, again care is needed to smooth that out. There is another one on the neck, cutters will do that one.
I did one Belcher first to test the colors….
White primer, then a base coat of Inferno Orange. I used some flow improver & Mat Medium to make a heavy glaze of Khador Red Base and use that on all the deep areas. Make sure it really dry. Made another glaze of Sanguine Highlights, this one was thinner, so it collected in the deep areas and didn’t change most of the red that already dried. Looking at it now, is it a Red model with orange highlight? Well, we are not done yet…
Time to add some black. The claws and head armor was obviously black. There is a small area under head armor that could be either armor or skin. I decided armor. Once the black was in place, a little bit of white was added to the mix and some highlight on the armor.
Now highlights. Ember Orange, then Heartfire. I tried some drybrush and did some brush work to get the lighter areas where I wanted them. a touch of Cygnus Yellow for the eyes.
Iam really happy with the way this little guy came out. Well, that’s the prototype.
Since that one, I have banged out another 20+ units and the monster.
Someone asked how I was going to differentiate the Elite models. I thought about it, decided to add spots. I had always planned for the monster have belly spots, why not the units..
The spots are three colors, Beaten Purple was first. Then a spot of Morrow White. Finished with a heavy glaze of Sanguine Highlight. Happy dance on the way they came out. The stars on the Elite bases are also Inferno Orange.
Pretty well locked down the colors.
There only so much I can say about painting the cute little things that look like Halloween candy. Well, one person said thought they look like “Liquid hot MAGma”..
I am going to stop talking, I will add a bunch of photos to the end of the post….
What’s next, I don’t know, I will have to see which way the wind blows…
Till next time….
Just do it……