It has been a long time. Way to long. TempleCon has come and gone. More than once I started to write and nothing got posted. It didn’t seem right.
I have never been happy with the bases on the High Relaimer Theme List. So I am working on some Crackle Plaster Bases. More about that in another post.
Project Toucan will take it original name – Ambidextrous Toucan. It is being worked on. Slowly. Ashlynn has been started along with two Vanguards.
Project T for T is over for now, I need to get some photos and write that up.
Kath Laddermore is done. She is for someone very special. Again, I need photos and a write-up.
A lot of my time is involved with CaptainCon.
This one Started late in August of 2013. I must say that last summer was really rough on me.
One of my friends told me about a game store that had a second hand Mammoth for sale. The price was within my budget. I called them up and worked out the shipping cost. Sent the money and waited.
The box arrived. I pulled it out and the first thing I noticed, no card. Shrug, I can get the cards. It came in a Battlefoam made for a Mammoth, but it didn’t fit. Strange!!
I pulled it out and the way it was put together. Shocking. The person who put it together had done a crap job. The parts came straight from the box and received globs of glue. Add enough glue and almost anything will stick together. I can picture this fool. Ripping the box open. Spending 10 minutes gluing it together. Three large Zap-a-Gap bottles might have been enough. The rest of the parts went into the trash. I am sure he played a few games with him. As soon as he figured that the Mammoth isn’t an instant win. He sold it to the store. Pity the Fool…
I proceeded to use, glue softener and a knife to disassemble him. It took about two hours. The I searched the Privateer Press webpage. They had an insider what showed all the Mammoth parts.
Here is the shocking part. Twenty two parts missing…. All the decorative parts, gone. I copied the photo and marked the missing parts.
I didn’t do anything for three or four days.
That began six month of trying to find parts to buy. Privateer Press doesn’t sell Gargantua Parts yet. I won’t bother you with the details. I found someone who had the parts and spent the money to get them.
What do I plan. Well, I have not mapped the whole plan out. I have decided not to do anything to fancy on the base. What I plan do do in the updates is a detailed look at all the parts. How they fit together. What is easy, what is hard. So….
I have started. Not painting. Not assembling. I started removing mold marks and glue globs.
Here is the left leg. It is easy to see the mold injection points. One is at 6 O’clock the other at 10 O’clock. The shine you see in some areas is glue. All around the plug that holds the leg to the body is a between 1/32 – 1/16 of and inch of glue. After I removed the two plugs, the leg still didn’t fit into the body. It is slow work and I am going as slowly as needed to remove the glue with a very sharp knife and some files. Yes, I am using a mask! I know about resin dust.
The body had more glue on it than the leg did. I spent about an hours cleaning the glue from body and leg connection. Then I grabbed the other leg and repeated the process. I even spent a little time with the tail, but I didn’t finish that yet.
Not a huge amount of progress. But it is a start.
I am going to keep track of the time I spend on this project.
2 hours disassembling, 2 1/2 cleaning two legs and the lower body. Total 4 1/2 hours…
Until next time…
Just do it..